Insure Your Home
Texas is a big state with homes spread far and wide. From the country to the city, Texans need homeowners insurance to safeguard one of their most precious possessions – their homes. Whether you’re buying a home, condo or renting an apartment, homeowners insurance covers your residence so you always have a place to come home.

smiling family in front of house

What is Homeowners Insurance?

Homeowners policy can offer financial protection against common unexpected hazards such as hailstorm damage, tornadoes, hurricanes, fire or winter ice storms. Most home policies in Texas offer the following basic coverages: Dwelling, Personal property, Other structures, Loss of Use, Personal Liability or Medical payments. Most policies are for twelve month terms with an offer to renew annually.

How does Home Insurance work?

Homeowners insurance pays to repair or help replace your house, personal property, other assets in your home if damaged or destroyed by sudden accident, peril or occurrence covered up to your policy limits – less your deductible. Your home insurance policy may also cover living expenses if a covered loss forces you to rent an apartment or house while your home is being repaired or rebuilt. The policy can also provide coverage for accidents or injuries that occur in your home, or on your property, when you are found negligent.

Are all Home Policies the same?

No. Insurance companies in Texas may sell several different types of policies and coverage vary by insurance carrier. If an insurance company offers you a policy with less coverage than you prefer. You may also be able to buy additional coverage by adding endorsements to your policy for water backup, water seepage or leakage, roof replacement cost, extended dwelling or specialty items like jewelry, musical instruments, art and collector items. Prices on insurance vary as do the amounts of coverage. Ask your insurance broker if policies are available with “all risk” or “open perils” coverage form when requesting a quote. Inquire about any coverages that are important to you to be sure they are included.

Is Home Insurance required?

Owning a house in South and Central Texas, or buying a condo in Austin, is an investment worth protecting. Unlike automobile insurance, home insurance is not mandated by Texas law. However, if you are financing your home, mortgage companies, banks and lenders will require home insurance coverage until the loan is paid off. Your lender may provide a much more expensive home policy, called “force-placed insurance,” or send your loan into default if you let your policy expire.
Ask Britton and Britton Insurance agency how to defend your Texas home from these perils and customize your quote so you only pay for what you need. We also cover landlord and renters!

What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover?

Homeowners insurance policies generally cover property damage caused by:

  • Vandalism
  • Theft
  • Storms
  • Lightning
  • Hail
  • Fire
fire destroying town icon
Most homeowners policies will give you these options:
move into new home icon

Loss of Use

Can help you pay additional living expenses (housing, food, and other essential expenses) if you must temporarily move because of damage to your house from a covered loss.

home covered by hands icon

Dwelling Coverage

Dwelling coverage is for repairing or rebuilding your home, if your house is damaged or destroyed by a covered loss.

umbrella over safe

Personal Property

Items in your house (such as furniture, clothing, and appliances) are damaged or destroyed by a covered loss. Special items can be scheduled.

umbrella over briefcase

Personal Liability

Can pay to defend you in court against lawsuits if you are found legally responsible for someone else’s injury or property damage.

Flood Insurance in Texas

Flooding can occur anywhere, even in the most unlikely places. Floods are caused by more than just thunderstorms and a creek coming up out of its banks. New construction and long periods of drought are contributing factors. Rising water from a clogged street gutter can come up past the yard, and into a home.

flooding icon
earthquake icon

Earthquake Policy in Texas

Texas has numerous tectonic plates including the Balcones fault in central Texas. As hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” becomes more common there is more concern with increase in land movement. Seismic activity has been noted east near Timpson, outside of San Antonio and just north of Dallas.

Flood insurance and earthquake losses are usually not covered on your home policy. The good news is the separate policies are most often budget friendly.

paper family in wooden house

Package Your Homeowners Insurance with Britton & Britton

Britton & Britton Insurance will handle the hassle of shopping for multiple policies at a great premium.
Combine your Homeowners Insurance with:

Enjoy the benefits of comprehensive homeowners insurance – call Britton & Britton at 512-469-0693 today!