Can you get tornado insurance?

Generally speaking, if you have Texas homeowners insurance you do not need a separate policy for tornado coverage. Your standard home policy (form HO-3) normally covers damage to your residence and personal belongings without a separate endorsement, or “rider.” That being said, read your personal home, renters or condo insurance policy carefully for any amendments, exclusions or limitations in coverage.

Will a tornado or hail claim raise home insurance rates?

Your rate may increase if you’ve filed multiple claims within a five year period. Severe weather such as a tornado is generally not caused by your negligence and an insurer typically will not increase your insurance premium for one weather related incident. There are many factors that go into insurance rates and loss history is only one part of the equation.

Is it worth claiming hail damage?

To put it simply, yes. Hail damage can cause extensive damage to the roof and siding of your home or vehicle. Do not compromise your property. Prevent additional damage and have your property inspected and repaired quickly by calling your insurance company and preferred provider.

It is important that your property be well maintained and in good repair so there are not preexisting hazards or risk that could compromise coverage. The age of your roof may impact coverage for tornadoes depending on the insurance provider and your location. Hurricane, hail and wind may not be covered on a Texas homeowner policy depending on how close you live to the coast in which case a second wind/hail policy may be required. Flood and earthquake are not covered under a renters, condo, or home insurance policy and require a second separate policy, special endorsement or rider.

Review your personal policy documents and ask your agent about your specific insured needs and coverage concerns as available options vary by person and insurance company.

About the author