Buying your first Texas home or getting the keys to your downtown condo or new apartment is one of life’s most exciting moments! It’s yours to decorate as you please, and that patio herb garden (or theater room) you’ve been dreaming about is one step closer.
Whether you are moving local or long distance, make sure your Texas condo, renters, or home owners insurance policy covers everything you need. Simply call our office prior to your move and we can review your existing insurance policy and answer any of your questions. Your insurance agent can even prepare quotes before you finance your home so you are ready to go on moving day. Start your quote now!
We have included some helpful hints, from home movers to insurance tips, and a checklist to help make your move little more seamless.
How do I find a good moving company?
- Contact professional moving company to request a quote and in-home estimate, check references, ask how long they have been in business, and check with the Better Business Bureau. Inquire about any extra fees and get everything in writing, including your pickup and delivery dates.
- If you need dishes wrapped, furniture assembled, art crated, a piano or pool table moved ask the moving company if they offer the specialized services you need. Some movers offer optional replacement cost protection to repair or replace your belongings while being transported and in their possession.
- Creating a home inventory is a useful tool for you and the movers as you organize your items. After your move, carefully inspect your items to make sure they all arrived safely and were not damaged during the move. Walk through your new home to make sure that the movers did not scrape the paint off the walls, damage doorways, and other areas.
Moving Check List
Contact your local independent Austin insurance agent and let them know your plans and ask about any potential gaps in coverage. At least 60 days before you move you should choose your Texas moving company and start to confirm moving arrangements. Decide how much you will pare down your personal belongings and sell or donate any items instead of moving them with you. Don’t forget to notify the post office of your new address. Assess your budget and determine how much time you have before your move. If you need assistance organizing your move, Travelers insurance offers a “How to move in 30 days calendar” to help you organize your move.
5 Things You Should Do When Moving to a New House
- Make a list of pre-move projects. Some projects like painting the walls, wiping out cabinets, or cleaning the carpets are easier before you move in. Plan ahead and build it into your moving plan and budget and you won’t have to worry about after the move. If you are leasing your new home be sure to check the lease for any limitations.
- Change the locks and make spare keys. Having new keys and locks made for your home is relatively inexpensive. The previous owner or home builder may have shared spare keys with neighbors, installers and repair professionals.
- Become familiar with your home and schedule preventive maintenance. Appliances, systems, electrical box, gas and water shutoffs should be located – so you know where to if there is an emergency. Having the paperwork can be helpful in case something breaks or if there is a product recall or home warranty concern.
- Meet the neighbors. Take some time to meet the neighbors. Besides being neighborly, you may be able to help one another out or keep an eye out for suspicious activity in the neighborhood.
- Make sure your Texas home insurance policy covers everything you need. When I doubt ask your insurance agent about any concerns you have regarding your home protection. If you have jewelry or special collections, like fine art or musical instruments, you might need valuable items coverage. As a reminder, if you make significant upgrades or purchases, it’s a good idea to let your local independent insurance agent know.
Don’t forget to pack a few snacks and bottled water to take with you on the day of the big move. We hope your moving day is an enjoyable, exciting and an easy process!